Hi healthy food lovers! :)
I'm excited to share today a new recipe that I have wanted to create for a very long time, 'power bars.' However, this is no ordinary power bar! This bar is made with no flours, additional sugars, oils, shortenings or preservatives, making it 100% healthy in my foodtarian eyes :). The ingredients are completely customisable if you have any allergies or dislikes to what I have used. However, I do hope you give my listed ingredients a go! These bars are the perfect mix or crunchy and sweet.
Soft muesli power bars
Time: 15 - 20 minutes cooking, up to 6 hours refrigeration
- 170 grams whole grain puffed rice (no sugar additives)
- 120 grams quick cooking rolled oats
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup sugar free maple syrup
- 140 grams honey
- 20 grams smooth peanut butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 50 grams pepita/sunflower seed mix, unsalted, unroasted
- 50 grams shelled oven roasted pistachios, unsalted
- 30 grams unsalted, unroasted peanuts, shelled
- Preheat oven 160 degrees Celsius.
- Chop all nuts in half.
- Place all dry ingredients (oats, rice, cinnamon, cranberries, nuts) in a very large mixing bowl.
- Place the peanut butter in a microwave safe bowl and melt (approximately 30 seconds to 1 minute).
- Add the maple syrup and honey to the peanut butter mix.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir together until combined.
- Spread the mixture into a slice baking tray and cook in the oven for approximately 15 - 20 minutes (the mixture should be browned), turning halfway through cooking time (note: cooking times for ovens will vary).
- Leave the slice to cool, then place in the refrigerator until set (this can take anywhere between 3 - 6 hours for a firm setting).
- Once set, cut your slice into approximately 20 slices.
These power bars are an excellent snack before the gym, to take with you on the go, or even as a quick breakfast!
I hope you enjoyed them as much as I loved making them.
Happy healthy eating! :)
The Active Foodtarian